Treating Winter SkinPosted on 20/07/2018
By Thy Tran
Do you get the Winter itch? Dry, cracked skin like the Sahara Desert? Or irritated red skin? Well, knowing how to treat Winter Skin couldn’t get easier than this! Winter is the coldest season of the year and it’s a whole different ball game in terms of your skincare. It seems as the years go by, Winter in Australia gets colder and colder. Lucky for you, this blog post will explain to you all the skin problems that occur specifically in Winter and how to treat them and improve your skin health.
You may not know but as the season change, your skincare routine must also change with it. There are many new factors that adjust the conditions of your skin, such as the environmental temperatures, harsh cold winds and so on, that can exacerbate problematic “Winter skin”. Hence, we need to consider these external factors if you want to maintain healthy skin.
Related: Korean Skin Care Routine For Winter.
Because Winter brings on its own challenges for us to battle, we have written up this article to help you target the skin problems that arise in Winter. Here are some skin concerns and how to treat them with some easy methods to reduce the detrimental effects of Winter’s wrath.
Flaky, Dry Skin
This is the most common skin concern that occurs in Winter. Because of the cold environment, your skin is tighter (especially your pores) and your blood circulation reduces. This, in turn, decreases the amount of oxygen circulating to your skin and hence a dramatic drying effect. However, that is not only the cause. Due to uncomplimentary combinations of extreme decrease in climate temperatures in addition to increased use of heating products (such as heaters or hot water), your skin is stripped away of its natural moisture, leading to cracked lips and flaky skin. This is particularly apparent for those with dry skin conditions like Eczema.
The best way to combat dry skin and keep your skin plump, bouncy and soft is to choose the right products to suit your skin type and cold environment. This includes the following;
- Alcohol-Free Toner/Essence – the function of a toner is to ideally lock in moisture while also replenishing the water content of your skin from what has been lost to the environment. A great toner we would recommend is the Dear Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner or the Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence. These products are alcohol free and are perfect for restoring the moisture levels in your skin.
- Moisturising Products with Hyaluronic Acid – Hyaluronic Acid is an amazing ingredient that helps to drench the skin with moisture, while keeping it well within the skin. The COSRX Hyaluronic Acid Intensive Cream has the perfect consistency and ingredients to do just that!
- Moisturising with Products that have a thicker consistency – during Winter, your skin is not producing as much of the essential natural oils needed to protect your skin. Therefore, you need a substitute to create a barrier between the environment and your skin, whilst also avoiding Winter Skin. Products with a thicker consistency have higher concentrations of active ingredients that thicken the skin. They also absorb into your skin and form a protective barrier. Keeping this in mind, aim for an oil-based moisturiser as it locks in moisture for longer. We recommend the Pyunkang Yul Balancing Gel or the Pyunkang Yul Oil. Both of these products should be used as the last step of your skincare routine (use separately).
Dead Skin Cells
The biggest misconception when it comes to dry skin is that we should just moisturise, moisturise and moisturise. But just adding moisture into the skin is not enough! As our skin dries out, dead skin cells reside on the surface. This prevents our skincare products from functioning effectively. The higher the population of dead skin cells on our skin, the less active the ingredients in our products become. This is where exfoliating comes in. By removing the dead skin cells through exfoliation, you promote skin cell regeneration and allow new skin cells to surface. This makes your skin brighter and smoother for easier application of makeup. As a result of exfoliating, your skincare is more effective and absorbs the ingredients more productively.
However, you must be careful! You must not use any type of harsh exfoliating products as they will be counter-productive. Rather, you should be using products that contain gentle, leave-on “AHA or BHA” exfoliants. These exfoliants remove the accumulated layers of dead skin cells, while also maintaining the moisture levels in your skin. They are less irritating and are safer to use in the Winter months. We recommend that if you have the traditional dry skin condition, you should use AHA exfoliants as it softens rough, dry skin. If you have oily/combination skin, use BHA exfoliants as it balances the conditions of the skin while also unclogging pores.
The products that you can safely exfoliate with include our;
Irritated Red Skin
Because our bodies are trying to combat the cold, we try to go a step further and compensate lack of warmth by using external products to keep us warm. These include hot showers and heaters that are constantly exposed to the skin. Doing this may cause flares up of irritated red skin (particularly for sensitive or dry skin types). This which occurs quite frequently in Winter seasons.
As we expose our skin to these “heating” elements, we dilate the blood vessels in our skin. For some, irritation may be caused by allergies or bacterial substances from environmental factors. In these cases, to help with redness, you should ultimately reduce the amount of intensity with heating products you use and compensate by wearing warmer clothes. Apply a protective moisturiser on your face and body to help with your skin irritation.
You can also use products that contain Vitamin A and E to help soothe the skin from irritation. These vitamins also help repair the skin from damage, particularly from intense rubbing of the skin, red inflamed skin or sun damage. The perfect product that can do this is the KLAIRS Freshly Juiced Vitamin E Mask.
Tips & Tricks To Combat Winter Skin
To help accelerate the results of improving the health of your skin, you can also change some skincare habits that may be contributing to your disastrous Winter skin. Here are some tips and tricks that you can incorporate into your daily routine that would improve the health of your skin:
- If you don’t follow ‘Let’s Face It’ on Instagram where we share our tips and tricks relating to skincare, we recently mentioned “The 3 Second Rule”. This habitual routine involves you applying your skincare products within 3 seconds after rinsing off your cleanser. This allows you to lock in moisture into your skin and enables the active ingredients in your skincare product to absorb more efficiently, penetrating deeper into the skin. A great way to do this is straight after a shower.
- Speaking of showers, you should not take extremely hot showers (no matter how good it feels). Use lukewarm water to avoid your skin being dried out and to reduce the redness in your skin.
- After adding water and rinsing cleanser off your face, straight away apply the “7 Skin Method”. If you want to learn more about the 7 Skin Method, we have thoroughly explained it in our previous posts! This method helps to restore and maintain the moisture levels in your skin.
- Use a sheet mask every day (or at least every other day)! Sheet masks are packed with so many active ingredients to bring life back into your skin and to help you sustain the health of your skin. We have such an amazing sheet mask range for you to choose from and it doesn’t even matter which one you choose. As long as you apply one a day, you can dramatic vanish away the Winter Skin!
- Even though the sun might not look as harsh or as visible as warmer months, you should never forget using sunscreen. The sun is still there, so this means sunscreens should be on!
- If you want to wake up to good looking, bouncy, soft skin without doing the work or having that waiting time, you can apply an overnight mask to help your skin look healthy and fresh. A great product that you can definitely do this with is the Laneige Water Sleeping Mask. It has high levels of humectants that allow the skin to stay soft and healthy throughout the day. And let’s not forget our lips too! You can use the Laneige Lip Sleeping Masks to do just the same for your lips. They need some love too!
- Drink lots of water to not only keep your body hydrated but your skin as well!
- When using your skincare products or even drying your face with a towel, you must pat and not rub the skin. Rubbing can cause major redness or irritation to the skin due to the physical friction acting on the surface of your skin.
We hope this article has helped you understand your skin a whole lot better and helped you to achieve healthy skin through the Winter season. Treating Winter Skin could not get any easier than this!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Thy Tran is our guest Beauty & Skincare Blogger. She applies her skincare knowledge into in depth articles so our readers can better understand their skin’s needs and concerns. Thy also writes detailed product reviews on both Korean Beauty products and Western beauty products on her own blog. To read her honest product reviews, check out her blog here. If you love all things Beauty & Skincare related, follow her Instagram account (@biscuitsnmakeup)!
- K Beauty Tips: How To Treat Milia Posted on 30/08/2019
- Korean Beauty 101: A Beginners Guide Posted on 09/08/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Face Map Posted on 08/08/2019
- Best K Beauty Sheet Masks For Every Skin Type Posted on 14/11/2019
- Let’s Face Ingredients: Snail on the Face Posted on 22/10/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Skin Care In-Flight Posted on 25/10/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Sheet Mask 101 Posted on 04/11/2019
- K Beauty Tips: Alcohol In Skin Care Posted on 26/09/2019