Let’s Face Facts: Top 5 Myths About Pores!Posted on 23/04/2019
[By Biscuits & Makeup] Thursday, 18 April 2019
When it comes to treating our pores, there is so much being said to achieve that perfect “poreless” skin. But to our dismay, there is a lot of misinformation as well. And one of biggest myths about pores is the assumption implanted in our minds that our pores are something we can “get rid of”.
Pores are small openings in our skin that have three purposes;
- Lubricate the skin and keep the skin moisturised when needed.
- Cool the body by releasing sweat.
- Secrete toxins and excess oils from the skin.
Because of its significant role for our skin, pores are here to stay. It is something we must learn to live with as well as learn to properly take care of. To do this, we must completely and accurately understand the function of our pores in addition to not being fooled by the misconceptions and misinformation thrown at us by unchecked sources. Let’s Face Facts!
In our blog post, “How to Take Care of your Pores”, we talk about how to minimise their appearance and how to treat them using Korean Skincare. We also give you ingredients that look after your pores as well as a simplified Korean skincare routine that will help you manage and maintain your pores!
Now, let’s take a look at some common questions and debunk the top myths about pores!
1. Can I permanently shrink my pores?
Unfortunately, no. I blame the internet for this one. The size of your pores is genetically determined by your DNA. Some are luckier than others and have pores that can’t be seen by the naked eye, others aren’t as lucky. In addition, most people get confused between enlarged pores and stubborn blackheads. Stubborn blackheads may seem like enlarged pores because the build up of dead skin cells mixed with excess oils and other impurities can definitely “stretch” the pore. This makes them appear larger however, this can be solved with the right skincare routine and pore care. Whilst you can definitely minimise the look of your pores and treat them such that you have healthy skin, you cannot permanently change the actual size of them.
2. Do pores open and close?
Leading on from the previous point, we are now looking at one of the most obvious, yet most misinformed facts circulating on the internet. Pores do not open and close like doors! Most have believed that pores open up with the exposure to warm water and close with cold water. This is absolutely wrong! However, there is “some” truth to this. The heat and coldness that is applied to the skin influences the behaviour of the oils which resides in your pores. Thus, applying heat to your pores will help soften the sebum inside, allowing for easier removal.
3. UV Rays will make your pores look larger.
Although you cannot permanently change the size of your pores, long term exposure to sunlight can definitely make them appear larger. As we have mentioned previously, UV rays weaken the skin’s collagen (which is associated with your pores). When this occurs, the pores in your skin have to step up and try to look after your skin. To do this, they temporarily enlarge to release more moisture and secrete more oils to protect your skin. UV Rays also diminish the elasticity around the pores and hence, leave you with unhealthy skin.
4. Do pores get bigger with age?
As you age, the appearance of your pores changes. Though this is an unfortunate fact, it is something we must accept. As we grow older, the production of collagen and elastin in our skin significantly decreases, thus the appearance and health of our skin changes. One of these changes is our pore size – our pores will look larger. Additionally, the wrinkles and folds that appear accentuate the look of our pores as well. Thus, it is important to also think about using anti-aging products to prolong the effects.
5. Over-cleansing your skin will make things worse for your pores.
Cleansing is great pore care however when you cleanse your skin too much, it will strip away the natural oils needed in your skin. When this occurs, your skin must find another way to hydrate itself. Hence, your skin over-produces oils as a result. But when there is an over-production of oils, this leads to a higher chance of producing whiteheads and blackheads which are unhealthy for your pores.
By understanding and correcting these misconceptions about pores, we can now take the next step to taking care of our pores. It is important to realise what is wrong and right in order to gain knowledge to better the health of our skin.
Some of our top tips for taking care of our pores are;
- Wear sunscreen whenever you are going to be exposed to UV rays. Remember to slip, slop and slap!
- Double cleanse your skin but do not over-cleanse the skin! You need those natural oils.
- Use clay masks at least one or twice a week to reduce the number of blackheads and sebum in your skin.
- Use BHAs/AHAs to minimise the appearance of your pores.
- Exfoliation is key to maintaining the health of your pores.
- Moisturise your skin regularly so your skin doesn’t over-produce oils as substitution.
- Always keep your skin feeling cool and hydrated!
Now that we have exposed the top myths about pores, we hope this blog post has helped you understand your pores better. You can now take the next step to healthier pores!
Here are some other blog posts you might be interested in about pores:
- Best Ingredients for Acne Prone Skin
- Korean Skincare Guide: Treating Acne
- The Ultimate Guide on Exfoliation
- The Korean Double Cleansing Method
- How to Remove Blackheads
Leave us a comment below on what our next myth-busting topic should be! Or, if you have any questions you want us to answer, we would love to help!
- K Beauty Tips: How To Use AHA/BHA In Your Skincare Routine Posted on 01/07/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Double Cleanse Posted on 01/05/2019
- Let’s Face Facts: Cleansing Oils Are Good For You! Posted on 25/06/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Improve Wrinkles Posted on 13/03/2019
- K Beauty Tips: Korean Skincare Routine (Day & Night) Posted on 17/06/2019
- Korean Beauty Breakdown: Toner vs. Essence Posted on 20/05/2019
- 10 Step Korean Skin Care Routine Guide Posted on 03/07/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Pore Care Posted on 25/02/2019