Korean Beauty Tips: Purging or Acne Breakout?Posted on 18/08/2020
We know all too well how exciting it is to start using a new skincare product. Especially one that sounds promising, has rave reviews and claims to treat the skin concern that has been long troubling you. So if small, red bumps appear soon after the first couple of uses of the new product, disappointment quickly sets in. You may immediately ride off the product as not suitable for your skin. But, how can you be sure it’s a reactive breakout? In fact, your skin could actually be purging. What is skin purging? Why does it happen and how can you tell if you’re experiencing purging or an acne breakout? We answer these questions and give you some advice on how to manage it in our guide below!
Your skin usually takes around 30 days to renew itself (skin cell cycle). If this process is sped up due to certain actives (e.g. AHA, BHA, Retinol), any blemishes you have already existing under your skin will surface quicker than they normally would. This is how purging starts. It usually will last 4-6 weeks (sometimes quicker) and gradually improves with continuous use of the product.
If your blemishes are worsening over time, lasting longer than 6-8 weeks and your skin feels more clogged, this is more likely a breakout. Ditch the product.
Of course, if you feel instant burning, stinging, itching or other irritations, discontinue use immediately as your skin is likely sensitive to the product and it is causing an allergic reaction.
Shop This Purging or Acne Breakout Guide
Whilst not much can be done to stop or speed up the process of purging, we do have some Korean skincare product recommendations that will help calm the purge, and avoid inflaming it:
Have you experienced purging which you may have mistaken for a breakout before? Share your stories in the comments below!
Let’s Face It
- Layering Products: When To Apply Sunscreen? Posted on 19/10/2020
- 7 Practical Steps To Nurture Your Self Love Posted on 23/09/2020
- How To Treat Pigmentation With Korean Skincare Posted on 23/07/2020
- Benefits of Traditional Chinese Medicine [Natural Herbs] for Acne Prone Skin Posted on 09/11/2020
- Types Of Acne Scars – The Doors To Understanding Yourself Posted on 01/09/2020
- Let’s Face Facts: Top 5 Skincare Mistakes Posted on 13/10/2020
- Simple Korean Skincare For Men Posted on 09/06/2020
- Why Using A Korean Eye Cream Is More Important Than Ever Posted on 15/06/2020