K Beauty Tips: Korean Skincare Routine (Day & Night)Posted on 17/06/2019
Skincare routines can be quite daunting. You have to consider your skin type and concerns to figure out which products best suit your skin, as well as how many steps best suit your needs. If that’s not hard enough, you then have to think about having two different routines a day. What changes do you need in your morning routine compared to your night routine? And on top of all that, you also have to be consistent with these routines! It sounds like a lot, but don’t feel overwhelmed. We’ve put together an easy go-to guide on skincare routines for day and night. Our guide breaks down the Korean skincare routine into three core actions: Cleanse, Treat, Protect. We then outline the steps for a basic morning routine vs a night routine, side by side, so you can see the slight differences.
Differences in Day and Night Skincare Routines
During the day, your skin is exposed to free radicals, stress and other environmental factors whereas at night, it’s not as vulnerable to these factors. In the morning, the obvious difference is you need to apply sunscreen to protect your skin, which is not needed at night. However, you also don’t want to layer too many products or use products that are quite rich prior to makeup application. At night, your skin is more relaxed and repairs itself while you’re asleep. The skincare products you apply can work better as they are less interrupted by external factors. Slight changes in your routine for day and night will help your skin adapt to these differences.
Some slight tweaks to consider:
- Double cleanse in your night routine. Starting your night routine with an oil cleanser not only removes makeup and sunscreen, but also all the other impurities that have accumulated on your skin as well as inside your pores throughout the day. It ensures a thorough cleanse in addition to allowing for better absorption of the rest of your skincare products. In your morning routine, using an oil cleanser is optional. Some still double cleanse but for those who have time restraints in the morning, cleansing once with a water based cleanser or a cleansing water is preferable, and suffice.
- Treat your skin with products containing higher concentrations of active ingredients in your night routine. This is because your skin’s ability to absorb products is enhanced at night. Thus, these products penetrate your skin deeper and work better overnight. Utilise this time to target specific skin concerns. If your treatment products include actives such as AHA, BHA, Vitamin C and Retinol, best to use these at night.
- At night, your skin’s water level is at its lowest. Therefore, layer on more products in your night routine. You can opt to use a richer moisturiser than your daytime one (this depends your skin type, concerns and preferences) but most importantly, never skip moisturiser (day or night)!
- Apply sunscreen daily in your morning routine! This is key to preventing premature ageing, large pores, pigmentation as well as other skin damages.
- Overnight, strengthen your moisture barrier to prevent moisture loss in addition to ensuring your treatment products work undisturbed. Achieve this by applying either a facial oil or a sleeping mask as the last step of your night routine (after moisturiser).
Related article: 5 Essential Skin Care Steps
Shop This How To Korean Skincare Routine (Day & Night) Guide
You can find all the products for each step of your routine on our online store. On the menu bar, shop by product categories (which are arranged by the skincare steps) or by skin concerns.
How do your AM and PM routines differ? What slight changes work best for your skin? Let us know in the comments below!
Let’s Face It
- Korean Beauty Breakdown: Toner vs. Essence Posted on 20/05/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Pore Care Posted on 25/02/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Improve Wrinkles Posted on 13/03/2019
- 10 Step Korean Skin Care Routine Guide Posted on 03/07/2019
- Let’s Face Facts: Cleansing Oils Are Good For You! Posted on 25/06/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Use AHA/BHA In Your Skincare Routine Posted on 01/07/2019
- Let’s Face Facts: Top 5 Myths About Pores! Posted on 23/04/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Double Cleanse Posted on 01/05/2019