K Beauty Tips: Alcohol In Skin CarePosted on 26/09/2019
Have you ever stopped yourself from purchasing a skin care product because you saw there was a type of alcohol in the ingredients list (e.g. cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol or alcohol denat)? You wouldn’t be entirely wrong in doing so. Alcohol can definitely damage your skin barrier and can also cause skin conditions such as dehydration, acne and redness to occur. The types of alcohol that do this are bad alcohols. Whilst they may temporarily remove excess sebum production, reduce acne and feel refreshing on your skin, frequent use will do more harm than good. However, not all alcohol in skin care is bad! There are good alcohols (especially in Korean beauty) that actually deliver great benefits to your skin. They also have a ‘low hazard’ rating according to EWG. In our guide below, learn more about the effects of Alcohol in skin care and which ones are safe or best avoided.
Note: If you have extremely sensitive skin, we highly recommend patch testing products first. Although good alcohols have a low irritation score, they may still cause slight irritation for sensitive skin.
Good Alcohol In Korean Skin Care
Below are some Korean beauty products that contain good alcohols so you don’t need to shy away from them:
- Beauty Of Joseon Radiance Cleansing Balm (cetearyl alcohol)
- Pyunkang Yul Moisture Cream (cetearyl alcohol)
- Neogen Vita Duo Cream Joan Day Joan Night (stearyl alcohol)
- COSRX AC Collection Ultimate Spot Cream (cetearyl alcohol)
- A’pieu Milk Sheet Masks (cetearyl alcohol)
Are you more willing to try skin care products that contain (good) alcohol now? Why or Why not? Let us know in the comments below!
Let’s Face It
- 10 Step Korean Skin Care Routine Guide Posted on 03/07/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Face Map Posted on 08/08/2019
- Let’s Face Ingredients: Snail on the Face Posted on 22/10/2019
- Let’s Face Facts: Cleansing Oils Are Good For You! Posted on 25/06/2019
- The Buzz Around ‘Bee-Tox’: Bee Venom Skincare Posted on 31/07/2019
- Korean Beauty 101: A Beginners Guide Posted on 09/08/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Use AHA/BHA In Your Skincare Routine Posted on 01/07/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Treat Milia Posted on 30/08/2019