The Korean 7 Skin Method ExplainedPosted on 06/06/2018
By Thy Tran
In pursuit of the perfect complexion, it can be quite daunting to find the right products that are guaranteed to work. Achieving that dewy, bouncy, glass-like skin may seem too far-fetched, but what if there is a single product that can help you attain this and rescue your skin?
The Korean Beauty Industry has truly made a strong impression on the West and everyone is going gangbusters over the revolutionary skincare routine called the “7 Skin Method”. This method promises hydrated, soft and bouncy skin for all. It has been around for a few years and this post will explain what you’re missing out on and why you must introduce it into your skincare routine.
What is the Korean 7 Skin Method?
Everyone, in Korea, wants to obtain that “chok chok” skin (which means bouncy, beautiful and glowing skin). It has become the latest obsession all over the internet. The easiest and most effective way to achieve this is to introduce the 7 Skin Method into your skincare regimen.
Now, this uncomplicated and effective approach to your skincare steps involves the act of layering a hydrating toner or essence in succession on your face up to seven times. Hence, the name was coined the “7 skin method”. The word “toner” is a direct translation for the Korean word “skin”.
Often, toners have been mistakenly limited to their outdated purpose of just removing the remnants of makeup or impurities left on your skin that your cleanser didn’t catch. Though this still holds true for some toners, there is now a new evolution of toners that do so much more than that. Toners are now being redefined in the Korean beauty world as an advanced product. They cleanse but also replenish, rehydrate and rebalance the skin’s pH levels due to its high levels of humectants*. It also prepares the skin, so that your other skincare products are absorbed more effectively and efficiently.
*Humectants are special and important ingredients in skincare products that help your skin retain moisture.
What are the benefits and who can use it?
The Koreans have always prioritised hydration in their skincare routine and the 7 Skin Method is a “one routine that fits all”. This ground-breaking technique does not discriminate and is an inclusive method for all skin types, for men and women. Whether you have dehydrated skin, oily skin, combination skin and so on, this routine can work for you!
The idea behind the 7 Skin Method is to increase, retain and restore the moisture levels in your skin, while also preparing your skin for the next steps in your skincare routine. It maximises the potential of other skincare products that you apply after a layer of toner. Often, the conventional moisturising creams and oils could be potentially too heavy, rich or greasy for the average person. So, the 7 Skin Method is a great way to refine your skin care steps to achieve the optimal balance of hydration and nutrients in your skin. Toners are generally light, not sticky or greasy, and easy to apply. It is one of the most popular and best Korean skincare products to have. For this reason, this method is great to use in your winter skincare routine.
The major benefits of incorporating the 7 Skin Method into your everyday routine is that it not only restores your skin, but it also helps to maintain it as well, no matter what season it is. You are essentially killing two problems with one product.
Related: We also mention this method in our previous blog, 5 Skin Care Habits.
How to apply and add this into your skincare routine
To integrate the 7 Skin Method into your skincare regimen is not a hard task to do.
Steps 1. After you have double cleansed your skin and dried your face, pour out about a 10-cent’s width of the product into the palm of your hand. Alternatively, you can use a thin cotton wipe (which doesn’t absorb the product as much as your average cotton pad).
Step 2. Rub the product along the length of your fingers and repeatedly press onto the skin starting on the apples of your cheeks, working towards the exterior of your face. Then, rotate your hands and again, press the product into your forehead and chin and working outwards.
Step 3. Press the product for about 30 seconds to 1 minute and then start to very gently pat the product onto your skin for about 1-2 minutes. This will allow circulation for better product absorption.
Step 4. Once you feel that the product is slightly moist on the skin, repeat steps 1-4 for the next layer.
Simple! It is recommended that you do the 7 Skin Method once in the morning and once at night. But it is up to your discretion on how often you would like to do this. To give you a good indication, the average person uses this method at least once a day.
Keep in mind that if you feel like you want to apply some additional products, just wait a few moments for the last layer of the toner to settle into the skin, and then apply accordingly.
Some Do and Don’ts
Even though there isn’t much to the 7 Skin Method, there are some things you should and should not do.
- It’s called the “7” skin method, but this does not mean you have to apply all seven layers on your skin. Depending on your skin, you can apply three, five or the whole seven layers. The decision is yours. You know your skin best. Applying seven layers is just the general recommendation for all skin types.
- Using a toner with alcohol as an ingredient is a big ‘no-no’. Alcohol is a dehydrating agent that will cause severe dryness, irritation and dehydration in your skin. This is the complete opposite of what you want to achieve. Please make sure you read the ingredients list before making your purchase.
- Not choosing the right toner. As you know, there are an overwhelming number of toners on the market and each one differs in ingredients, consistencies and benefits that suit different skin types. In terms of ingredients and benefits, choose the best one that fits your needs and skin. As for consistency, choose a toner that is light, easily absorbed into the skin and has a low viscosity (similar to that of water).
- Not being patient and rushing between each layer. Though it does take time to apply multiple layers of toner onto the skin, it is crucial that you give your skin enough time to absorb the product before moving onto the next later. Packing on too much product in a short period of time runs the risk of overwhelming your skin.
- Do not pat your skin too aggressively. This might be common sense but needs to be said. Often when you’re in a rush, the patting motion becomes more intense and this may be the cause of irritation and redness on the skin.
- Uneven application is a common problem when using the 7 Skin Method. You must make sure that you cover and distribute the product evenly across your face. This includes the eye area, the nose, temples and so on, to get the best results.
- Make sure you listen to your skin. Some people will end their skincare regimen with the 7 Skin Method and this isn’t always the way to go. Though the toner does hydrate your skin, it doesn’t do everything. Once you let it absorb into your skin, you should analyse your skin and see what you need for the day like a moisturiser, serum, eye cream etc.
After a long period of experimenting and trial, Korean 7 Skin Method is a revolutionary technique that speaks volumes. After the initial day of using this technique, you may not see dramatic results, but you will surely see that your skin is a lot dewier. The second day (or third day at most) is where you see the real magic start to show.
Now that your skin has been restored with nutrients and hydration, expect even more positive changes to your skin. Your skin will appear tighter, softer, bouncier and more radiant. You will see the plushiness of your cheeks as well as that angular reflective glow (as though you applied highlighter to your cheeks). By the next few days, you will achieve that glass-like skin that every Korean girl dreams of having; all because of the 7 Skin Method. It is that simple.
Now that you’re convinced the 7 Skin Method works, the next step is to search for the right toner. Lucky for you, we have a few suggestions up our sleeves that we recommend using for the 7 Skin Method.
These toners do not contain alcohol, are very hydrating for the skin and are the best Korean skincare products money can buy. You can go search more on the market. But please keep in mind, the best toner for 7 Skin Method would be one that is hydrating, contains humectants and has a viscosity similar that of water.
Needless to say, the Korean 7 Skin Method is the extra step in your skincare routine that you need to incorporate into your life. If you have tried it all, why not give this technique a go? There is so much going for this technique, you have absolutely nothing to lose. Achieve that glass-like, bouncy, plush skin with just one extra skincare step. Start by layering on 3 to 4 layers to see how it works for your skin and build up to the 7 layers. Remember to take some time to gently press and pat the toner onto the skin evenly with each layer.
“Let’s Face It” together and achieve the “chok chok” skin.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Thy Tran is a talented Sydney based Beauty & Skincare Blogger. She has tried a tonne of Korean Beauty products and Western beauty products and provides in depth reviews on her blog. We’re excited and honoured to have her guest blogging for us. If you want to read honest product reviews before purchasing, make sure you check out her blog here.
If you love all things Beauty & Skincare related, be sure to follow her Instagram account (@biscuitsnmakeup) too!
- K Beauty Tips: How To Pore Care Posted on 25/02/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Double Cleanse Posted on 01/05/2019
- Korean Beauty Breakdown: Toner vs. Essence Posted on 20/05/2019
- Let’s Face Facts: Top 5 Myths About Pores! Posted on 23/04/2019
- Let’s Face Facts: Are Face Mists Pointless? Posted on 19/02/2019
- Let’s Face Facts: Cleansing Oils Are Good For You! Posted on 25/06/2019
- K Beauty Tips: Korean Skincare Routine (Day & Night) Posted on 17/06/2019
- K Beauty Tips: How To Improve Wrinkles Posted on 13/03/2019