Boost Skin Immunity With Korean BeautyPosted on 30/04/2020
With COVID-19 and the winter months coming up, we are probably thinking about our health and immunity now more than ever. In particular, protecting ourselves from harmful viruses and bacteria. We all know about taking our vitamins, guzzling down healthy green smoothies, and other healthy tips for boosting our immune system when we’re feeling rundown – but how can we increase the immunity of our skin? What’s the real effect of this on our overall complexion?
Your Skin Is The First Line Of Defence Against Viruses And Bacteria
The skin is the body’s largest organ and plays a vital role in overall immunity by providing a barrier of protection. Your skin is the first line of defence against viruses, bacteria, microbes and toxins. The cells work hard as a buffer against germs while also protecting your skin from air pollution, UV rays and other environmental stress.
Your skin has a unique microbiome system with beneficial bacteria that live in and on it; contributing to its overall immunity. Your skin is a brilliant weapon against pollution, chemicals, and all the elements from the environment. This is why it’s so essential we build a healthy outer layer that is well functioning; to protect yourself against harmful viruses and bacteria.
How Does Your Skin Immunity Stack Up?
Your skin is like a mirror image of the stuff that is going on in your body and your mental health. So, it won’t show up happy if you are staying up late binge-watching Netflix with wine or if you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed while in lockdown. When your body is lacking essential nutrients, vitamins and hydration, the result is usually dull skin that often shows premature signs of ageing, redness and sensitivity.
Quenching your body with crucial nutrients can turn your skin around from the inside out. That’s why more-and-more skin experts are talking about lifestyle factors such as diet, in combination with using the right skincare.
The Enemy? Imbalance And Inflammation
Imbalance and inflammation stem from stress, lifestyle factors and the things you put on your skin. The telltale signs are often reddish, super reactive skin that may be dry in some places and oily in others.
If you overuse incorrect products on your skin, it can compromise and malnourish your skin’s microbiome. This adds stress and imbalance to the skin. And once your skin is angry and stripped from the things that it needs to make it glow beautifully, your skin barrier and immunity will freak out.
How To Boost Your Skin’s Immunity
Diet is a significant factor in skin immunity. So we recommend cutting down on processed foods and increasing consumption of healthy fats such as nuts and oily fish, high-quality protein, colourful fruits and veggies. Also make sure there is enough fibre in-take in your diet. Eat fermented foods like kimchi, pickled veggies, sauerkraut and yogurt as it helps nourish the microbiome of the skin. Additionally, your diet should include as many vitamins from A to Z, omegas 3 and 6, fatty acids as well as antioxidants.
Lifestyle choices influence your skin’s immunity. Getting a night of good sleep, exercising and managing your stress levels all help boost the immunity of your skin.
For skincare, cut down on harsh ingredients which can disrupt the natural barrier of your skin; therefore compromising the skin’s immune abilities. It’s important to choose the right products for your skin and concerns, not just because it’s the latest trend on Instagram.
People don’t usually think of the skin as an immune organ, but it most surely is. The great thing about Korean beauty compared to other skincare is that the ingredients are naturally derived and packed full of active ingredients. This means the products are kind to your skin while, at the same time, powerful enough to address skin concerns — no matter your skin type.
Korean Skincare Products We Recommend to Boost Skin Immunity
- NEOGEN Real Ferment Micro Serum – The fermented ingredients and antioxidants in this serum improve the natural strength of your skin, for a healthier complexion.
- DR JART+ Cicapair Sleepair Ampoule-In Mask – Uses a high concentration of Cica (Centella Asiatica) to restore and repair your skin barrier overnight as well as balance your skin’s microbiome.
- iUNIK Propolis Vitamin Eye Cream – This anti-ageing eye cream enhances skin elasticity, texture and appearance. The formula consists of mainly Propolis Extract which is rich in minerals, vitamins and amino acids that improve skin health.
- Propolis Synergy Toner – Propolis Extract benefits your skin by boosting skin immunity, healing blemishes as well as providing anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that promote healthy skin.
- A’PIEU Real Big Yogurt One-Bottle Strawberry – a sheet mask that has an essence enriched with Yogurt Extract, Lactobacillus Ferment Filtrate and Strawberry Extract to hydrate, firm and strengthen your skin barrier.
Protecting Your Skin Is Protecting Your Health
When fighting against bacteria and viruses, your skin is the first line of defence. Well balanced, strong and healthy skin means having a skin immune system that’s properly looked after, nourished with the right diet and lifestyle as well as a proper skincare routine.
If you need help selecting the right products for your skin’s health, just let us know and we can help curate a range based on your needs. Until then, stay healthy and safe.
How have you been boosting your skin immunity during isolation? Share with us in the comments below!
- 7 Practical Steps To Nurture Your Self Love Posted on 23/09/2020
- Let’s Face Facts: Reasons behind Stinging Skin Posted on 15/05/2020
- Tired Skin? Try These Korean Beauty Secrets Posted on 23/04/2020
- How To Treat Pigmentation With Korean Skincare Posted on 23/07/2020
- Korean Beauty Tips: Purging or Acne Breakout? Posted on 18/08/2020
- Simple Korean Skincare For Men Posted on 09/06/2020
- Why Using A Korean Eye Cream Is More Important Than Ever Posted on 15/06/2020
- Types Of Acne Scars – The Doors To Understanding Yourself Posted on 01/09/2020